Wednesday, January 27, 2010

GDG Artist Spotlight: Danni Shinya Lou



GDG Member Danni Shinya Lou was featured in Volume I, A Girl in Time (Drawing girls from the Dark Ages & the 30s) and Volume II, Once Upon a Girl for Thumbelina, the 2010 Art Pin-Up Calendar (Feb) and the 2010 Photo Calendar (Jan)

(PS- 2010 Photo Calendars STILL FOR SALE!!)

She is being featured in an upcoming show at La Luz de Jesus gallery in Los Angeles, CA, February 5 - 28, 2010

Opening Reception
Friday, February 5, 2010
8:00-11:00 pm

Welcome to the Girls Drawin Girls Spotlight Danni!

1. What's your name?
--Danni Shinya Luo

2. Where are you originally from, and where do you live now?
--Originally from ShangHai China. Currently resides in LA, California.

3. What do you do for a living when you're not drawing sexy pinups?
--I paint and exhibit in a number of galleries in the states. I also freelance in Flash animation and concept design works.

4. What's your favorite medium to work in?
--I paint with watercolor, ink and wax primarily, but depending on the piece I will incorporate a mix of other mediums from time to time. Outside of my gallery paintings I work digitally.

5. Why do you think the pinup girl has such a timeless, wide appeal?
--I believe it's because as human beings we will always be attracted to things that are aesthetically pleasing. The essence of Pin-ups is to portrait the "perfect" female form; on top of all the curves and blushed skin, the artist add a hint of flirtation, a sprinkle of sexual desire, then the whole thing gets glazed over with playful innocence. Nothing else out there can compete with that, because it gives us what we fundamentally crave--love, comfort, and lust.

6. Define what "sexy" means to you.
--The word "Sexy" has many meanings to me. The most important part of it is having confidence in oneself. You will also need to fill yourself up with a wide selection of knowledge, a good sense of humor, and acquire great taste to "dress up" that confidence, Then you have "Sexy"!

7. What's your biggest goal/ambition as an artist?
--I believe in the classic role of the artist, which is to document a segment of history, to reflect the time which he or she lived in. I also believe that the artist should do this through his or her own interpretation combining with personal messages. So my goal is to present ideas and concepts of our society through my paintings to the future generations.

8. Why do you like drawing ladies?
-- The forms of human body is intriguing to me. I love all kinds of figures. The way it works, how each part is fitted into one another is amazing. There are also many similarities between the rules that guide the human body and the universe; learning of one leads to the learning of the other. I'm more attracted to the female figure because it has a great deal of contrast, yet it has softer textures and curves. The bare-chested figures in my paintings also speak the importance of femininity and motherhood. Without the nurturing of mothers, none of us would be here today. That's why the female figure deserves such appreciation.

9. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
--I love exploring. It's impossible for me to stop at just one destination. I want to eventually travel all around the world, and if I have some extra time left I would love to visit another planet.

10. Name three artists who have influenced you and/or you admire.
--There are so many of them! I absolutely love classical figure painters. I know I can't list all of them. So here are 4 that has the biggest influences on my current style: Katsuya terrada, Alphonse Mucha, William-Adolphe Bouguereau, and Jan Van Eyck.

********

Thanks Danni!

And here are the links her blog and her La Luz de Jesus show:

dshinya.blogspot.com

http://www.laluzdejesus.com/coming.htm

No comments: