Wednesday, February 24, 2010

GDG Artist Spotlight: Natalie Zigal


This week, we talk to GDG's Natalie Zigal, who was featured in Volume I, A Girl in Time for Girls from the 1920s,  Volume II, Once Upon a Girl for "The Emperor's New Clothes" the 2010 Art Pin-Up Calendar (Nov) and the 2010 Photo Calendar (June)

Welcome to the Girls Drawin Girls Spotlight, Natalie!

1. What's your name?
Natalie Zigal

2. Where are you originally from, and where do you live now?
Originally I am from Belmont California which is on the Bay Area Peninsula. Currently I reside in Culver City CA

3. What do you do for a living when you're not drawing sexy pinups?
I work for Barbie. I create content.

4. What's your favorite medium to work in?
Lately Acrylic but I would love to get back to my roots with watercolor and oil.

5. Why do you think the pinup girl has such a timeless, wide appeal?
The female form is one of the most dominant icons of sexuality and fertility, and has been throughout the ages. It is recognized by men and women alike.

6. Define what "sexy" means to you.
Sexy can be so many things... dominant, passive, beautiful, dirty, fantastical, naughty or nice. But the thread that makes it all sexy, to me, is strength. When a girl embraces her strength it shows and it is so powerful.

7. What's your biggest goal/ambition as an artist?
I want to always be inspired, to always be employed in a creative role and to always love what I do.

8. Why do you like drawing ladies?
Ladies are versatile. They can assume any role -professional, playful, serious, frivolous, and
can really own it all with little more than a cute smile.

9. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
Iceland is next on my list. But I still really want to see Tuva, Mongolia and Antarctica.

10. Name three artists who have influenced you and/or you admire.
Norman Rockwell, Gil Elvgren, Holly Hobbie, John Held Jr. and Alphonse Mucha. Sorry I couldn't do it in 3! :)

********

Thanks Nat!

And here are is a link to her blog and some of her art (currently for sale on our Haiti Art Sale page!)
http://kotterpin.blogspot.com/




http://artforhaiti.blogspot.com/search/label/natalie%20repp-zigal

No comments: