Wednesday, March 3, 2010

GDG Artist Spotlight: Anne Walker






This week, we talk to GDG's Anne Walker, one of GDG's co-founders!  Anne was featured in Volume I, A Girl in Time, for Girls from the 1990s, Volume II, Once Upon a Girl for "The Snow Queen" and helped create and compile artwork for our GDG Deck of Playing Cards!

Welcome to the Girls Drawin Girls Spotlight, Anne!
1.  What's your name?

Anne Walker

2.  Where are you originally from, and where do you live now?
Originally from the Bay Area; Currently residing in Borebank.

3.  What do you do for a living when you're not drawing sexy pinups?
I'm a storyboard artist on a variety of animated TV productions.  I'm also (slowly) making a film.

4.  What's your favorite medium to work in?
I used be more of a marker/ink girl, but lately I've been getting into gouache.  It's very versatile and easy to work in!

5.  Why do you think the pinup girl has such a timeless, wide appeal?
I think the pinup girl is sexy in a slightly mysterious way.  She always leaves you guessing a little, and she never quite bares all.  In a way, she's what the viewer wants her to be, and it's up to the viewer to fill in her story.  I think that's fascinating!

6.  Define what "sexy" means to you.
Sexy is confidence and intelligence.  Knowing and owning who you are - as an individual and an artist - and not having to go all out to prove anything to anyone.  I like the more "cheesecake" style of pinup art; I feel like the "giant boobs, bare all" style of sexy girl that's out there now loses a bit of its mystery and fascination.  Also - sexy also means being freshly showered.  Grooming, dudes.  I can't stress that enough.

7.  What's your biggest goal/ambition as an artist?  
To improve my anatomy skills and composition skills as a fine artist.  And to learn and explore new mediums...

8.  Why do you like drawing ladies?
Because they're curvy and cute and colorful and fun!

9.  If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
East to west - Japan, Thailand, Nepal, Madagascar, France, Italy, Spain....I'd be going around the world!  Crap, I guess I need to start saving...:P

10. Name three artists who have influenced you and/or you admire. 
Matt Groening - the Simpsons made my sense of humor what it is.
John K - a notorious asshole who draws the funniest cartoons I know.  
Craig McCracken - I'd give my big toes to have a third of his mad story and design skills.  
...Ben Ballisteri, Tracy Butler, Kate Beaton, Lucy Knisley - God DAMN her she is so young and talented - Lynne Naylor, Lou Romano, and a host of other blogs whose artists are way more talented than I.
...and the mad skills of GDG!  <3


********
Thanks Anne!

Make sure to check out her latest project, "Debris," at her dedicated film blog!

http://debrisfilm.blogspot.com/

No comments: