Wednesday, March 24, 2010

GDG Artist Spotlight: Jay Fabares


This week, we talk to GDG's Jay Fabares, another one of our newest members! She's already posted some wonderful drawings up here to the blog, and we'll definitely be seeing her work in one of GDG's many upcoming projects!

Welcome to the Girls Drawin Girls Spotlight, Jay!

1. What's your name?
Jay Fabares (Fab-RAY)

2. Where are you originally from, and where do you live now?
Grew up in the Bay Area, in Fremont, Ca. Then I lived in the San Diego county for 7 years.
Now I live in the Burbank area.

3. What do you do for a living when you're not drawing sexy pinups?
Mostly I am a freelance artist.

4. What's your favorite medium to work in? 
Pencil. Sketching is the 1st essence of drawing and I feel that nothing can replace that feel of pencil to paper.

5. Why do you think the pinup girl has such a timeless, wide appeal? 
There's nothing like a woman to grab your attention.
Guy or girl, you notice when a women is selling something.

6. Define what "sexy" means to you.
There's a lot of things that I find 'sexy' and a lot of other girls have touched upon those things... strength, confidence, etc. For me, I think knowledge and common sense is sexy.

7. What's your biggest goal/ambition as an artist? 
My biggest ambition as an artist is to make stories, like comics, or children's stories. My biggest goal is to continue making a living doing what I love, which is drawing. I really feel like these are two separate things!

8. Why do you like drawing ladies?
Ladies are hard to draw. It's a challenge to make a lady look interesting and original. Men have very distinct features, I love the subtle nuances of women that make them unique.

9. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go? 
It's been a childhood dream to visit Africa and Australia. But I would also like to visit Switzerland.

10. Name three artists who have influenced you and/or you admire.
Richard Scarry, Preston Blair, and Gyo Fujikawa are the artists from my childhood, and were probably the biggest impact creating my love for visual arts and illustrations.
********

Thanks Jay!

And don't forget to check out her website at

No comments: