Wednesday, April 14, 2010

GDG Artist Spotlight: Alice Meichi Li


This week, we talk to GDG's Alice Meichi Li, one of our newest members! Keep an eye out for her amazing artwork in upcoming shows and in one of GDG's many upcoming projects!

Welcome to the Girls Drawin Girls Spotlight, Alice!

1. What's your name?
Alice Meichi Li

2. Where are you originally from, and where do you live now?
I grew up on Detroit, Michigan's east side, and I moved to New York City to pursue art. Currently, I live in Brooklyn, NY.

3. What do you do for a living when you're not drawing sexy pinups?
A bit of this, a bit of that. I do freelance illustration, sell art at conventions and online (http://store.alicemeichi.com/), show and sell work in exhibitions, and hold down a day job.

4. What's your favorite medium to work in?
I love working in a combination of traditional media (pencil and acrylic, primarily) and Photoshop. It gives me both the organic unpredictability I love and the control that I need.

5. Why do you think the pinup girl has such a timeless, wide appeal?
Celebrating the feminine ideal has been ubiquitous throughout history in its various forms, and the pinup girl is a manifestation of this that proves to be exceedingly iconic in expressing feminine sex appeal.

6. Define what "sexy" means to you.
"Sexy" to me means mystery and intensity and, in my opinion, both these traits come the skillful handling of Power. Powerful women are extremely sexy to me, whether their strength is more obvious or more subtle. (I prefer the subtle.)

7. What's your biggest goal/ambition as an artist?
I have so many goals, it's hard to summarize! I suppose I'll just say I'd like to do what I love, constantly find ways of improving, and explore new ways of expressing concepts that are important to me -- particularly notions of metaphysics and myth.

8. Why do you like drawing ladies?
I love the lines and curves of a woman's body. Like water, they can be either fluid or dramatic, but always aesthetically soothing.

9. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
I'd like to re-visit Hong Kong and Florence, as I feel I didn't have the chance to truly appreciate them when I was last there. As for somewhere new, I'd like to go to Prague to see the beautiful architecture and Mucha Museum.

10. Name three artists who have influenced you and/or you admire.
Dave McKean, William-Adolphe Bouguereau, and Shinya Hasegawa.


********

Thanks Alice!

And don't forget to check out her website at

No comments: