Wednesday, June 23, 2010

GDG Artist Spotlight: Kate Sullivan





This week, we talk to GDG's Kate Sullivan, another one of our East Coast based members! Keep an eye out for more of her amazing artwork in upcoming shows and in one of GDG's many upcoming projects!

Welcome to the Girls Drawin Girls Spotlight, Kate!

1. What's your name?
Kate

2. Where are you originally from, and where do you live now?
I'm New York born and bred!

3. What do you do for a living when you're not drawing sexy pinups?
I'm an animation student at School of Visual Arts. Last year I interned at blue Sky Studios, my latest project is my sophomore film, and right now I'm working on the Times' crossword.

4. What's your favorite medium to work in?
For traditional work, I love thin sharpies because they force me to focus on getting the drawing down instead of getting precious with it and I get a great strong line from them. For digital work, I love Photoshop since I can work faster, play with more color, and fix things with less swearing.

5. Why do you think the pinup girl has such a timeless, wide appeal?
No matter where women have been in history, everyone's always wanted to see what's under our clothes. ;) What makes pinup girls attractive is their confidence to be there and all "why yes, these are my boobies! I like them too! You know what else I've got?..."

6. Define what "sexy" means to you.
Charisma! Confidence! It's when you're aware of who you are, you love yourself, and you know how to work it! Beth Ditto, Christina Hendricks, Joesephine Baker, Mary J Blige, Anna Moffo, Maria Callas; all these ladies are incredible because they're fearless!

7. What's your biggest goal/ambition as an artist?
Quality storytelling is a great business model and I want to found a successful studio on the east coast that proves it. All of my favorite studios started and thrived because they care about telling a good
story, and it's really important to me to keep that going.

8. Why do you like drawing ladies?
Well, aside from it being easier to draw girls, with a wider range of colors and styles to go with, they're just a delight! I've drawn girls almost all of my life and it's fun! :)

9. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
I miss Texas. I went there on vacation for a few days to visit the 'King of the Hill' archives in San Marcos and had the most fun of my life, so I'm itching to get back as soon as I can.

10. Name three artists who have influenced you and/or you admire.
Bill Watterson - my first comic book ever was 'Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat' and I was delighted to read about someone else as manic and imaginative as me. The colors and visual metaphors were incredible, the joke were hilarious, and as I grew up and learned more about art, the more I appreciated Watterson's work to do something new with comic strip compositions and humor.

Naoko Takeuchi - Sailor Moon is one of my favorite comics for their incredible fight scenes and they work because of her amazing action poses. I've been a nut for action movies since I was a kid and the
brawls in the Dreams arc are gorgeous. I never really got into American comic books like X-Men and Spiderman, but combining the action I loved with the fashion geek still hiding in the closet were the perfect mix for me.

Natalie Dessay - I'm a tremendous opera nerd and I'm a fan of all the arts crossing over into each other. It's hard to pick just one singer, but when I saw Natalie Dessay as Marie in 'La Fille du Regiment', it was
like watching Tex Avery's work come to life! She bounced around stage in a shaggy red wig and a poilu uniform, while hitting notes hard enough to sing even if you were standing still. She has an energy she takes to her roles that encourage me to stay loose and emotional with my drawing, and to not take things too seriously. You can't fake her passion.

******** 

Thanks Kate! 

And don't forget to check out her website at 

No comments: