This week, we talk to GDG's Anand Duncan, another one of GDG's original members! Anand actually helped design and come up with Gigi, our group's mascot and logo, and has also helped design and maintain GDG's website. Anand also has the distinct honor of creating the cover art for all three of our books!
Anand has had pieces in Volume I, A Girl in Time, for The Dawn of Civilization, Volume II, Once Upon a Girl for "Sleeping Beauty," and interpreting Mochi in our upcoming Vol III: Sugar & Spice. Keep an eye out for more of her amazing artwork in upcoming shows and in one of GDG's many upcoming projects!
Welcome to the Girls Drawin Girls Spotlight, Anand!
1. What's your name?
2. Where are you originally from, and where do you live now?
I grew up in Santa Fe NM and Honolulu HI. Spent a few years in New York and Los Angeles, and now live in beautiful Redwood City CA.
3. What do you do for a living when you're not drawing sexy pinups?
I work as a designer in Flash, most recently on "The Mr. Men Show" season 1 and 2.
I also love making dress up games for my website HulaBunny.com
4. What's your favorite medium to work in?
Digital or pencil and paper.
5. Why do you think the pinup girl has such a timeless, wide appeal?
Its always nice to look at beauty.
6. Define what "sexy" means to you.
Sexy is when inner beauty radiates out.
7. What's your biggest goal/ambition as an artist?
I would like to do design work on a high end feature film. I would also like to illustrate for children's books.
8. Why do you like drawing ladies?
I love the shapes and curves of the female body and getting to design costumes and clothing.
9. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
Prague, Tokyo, and Whistler, all places Id like to revisit.
10. Name three artists who have influenced you and/or you admire.
Rik Maki: My all time favorite teacher, who has been an amazing character designer for many Disney films.
Alphonse Mucha: Art Nouveau artist and print maker.
Eyvind Earle: Painter, Illustrator and Disney background artist. The Sleeping Beauty BGs are some of my favorites.
And don't forget to check out her website at