Welcome to the Girls Drawin Girls Spotlight, Erica!
1. What's your name?
Erica Angelique Hesse
2. Where are you originally from, and where do you live now?I'm born and raised in New Jersey. Still living here now. Everything you know about Jersey girls is untrue ;)
3. What do you do for a living when you're not drawing sexy pinups?
I'm a conceptual illustrator in the casino industry.
4. What's your favorite medium to work in?
I have a few. I love illustrating in ink, markers, and colored pencil. But I also love illustrating digitally on my Wacom.
5. Why do you think the pinup girl has such a timeless, wide appeal?
The pin-up girl is so appealing, because I believe we all see a little bit of ourselves in pin-ups. Pin-ups are saucy, sweet, and sexy. Plus they have killer curves to boot.
6. Define what "sexy" means to you.
Sexy to me is being your own person, marching to the beat of your own drum.
7. What's your biggest goal/ambition as an artist?
One of my goals is having a gallery showing of my pin-up and low-brow work. Another is to be working in the comic book industry, whether it be sequentials or doing cover work.
8. Why do you like drawing ladies?
I love drawing women because they're beautiful in all shapes and sizes. I think you can capture that in so many ways in an illustration. From the look in her eye to the sway of her hips can be translated to the viewer in so many ways. Plus it's fun!
9. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
I would love to travel to Prague! One of my dreams is to visit the Alphonse Mucha Museum.
10. Name three artists who have influenced you and/or you admire.
One artist that influences me is Dan DeCarlo, he was and still is a defining factor in my art growing up. And I also admire the works of Gil Elvgren and Olivia.
Check out more of her work at her website: