Wednesday, April 27, 2011

GDG Artist Spotlight - Aisleen Romano



This week, we talk to GDG's Aisleen Romano, one of our San Francisco members! Keep an eye out for more of her amazing artwork in upcoming shows and in one of GDG's many upcoming projects!

Welcome to the Girls Drawin Girls Spotlight, Aisleen!


1. What's your name?
My name is Aisleen Romano, a Celtic Italian blend.


2. Where are you originally from, and where do you live now?
I'm originally from South Brunswick, NJ and I just moved to San Francisco! It was a big move and me and my boyfriend drove across the country to make it.

3. What do you do for a living when you're not drawing sexy pinups?
 
I just started working at Zynga, a video game company. I'm an Associate Artist which is basically like a 2D Illustrator. I draw vector images to be used in-game.

4. What's your favorite medium to work in?
My favorite medium is a tie between gouache and markers. I love the freedom in colors I have with gouache and the nice crisp lines it gives me, and I love the easy cleanup of markers! Sometimes when I'm feeling a little lazy I'll finish a piece with markers just because I don't feel like dragging out my paints and setting it up.

5. Why do you think the pinup girl has such a timeless, wide appeal?
 
Because curves are sexy! Theres something really welcoming and charming about a sweet pretty lady in adorable outfits.

6. Define what "sexy" means to you.
 
I think sexy is confidence. Being sensual, wearing revealing clothes, looking sweet and edible is very sexy!

7. What's your biggest goal/ambition as an artist?
My biggest ambition as an artist would be to make a living as a concept artist. Theres nothing in the world I like doing more than sitting down and conceptualizing something that will be used in a game or animation. Working with a team of artists towards a goal is very exciting to me!

8. Why do you like drawing ladies?
I love drawing ladies because of their curves and sexy nature. Its fun to draw a little cute fashionable girl who goes to college, then draw a tough chick who loves to drink! Such a wide range of possibilities. That, and I like to draw outfits that I would love to own haha

9. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?

This is tough. I'm not a big traveler, as I like to stay home on my vacations. So I'd say, anywhere theres a beach and I can go swimming in the ocean! I'm happy to be in San Francisco where I have just about anything I could want right here.

10. Name three artists who have influenced you and/or you admire.
Scott Wills is an incredible painter, and one of my favorite artists. His clean lines and details are something I aspire to! Ashley Wood is on the other end of the spectrum, with his fat brush strokes and wonderful muted color sense. And of course I love his ladies! And Bruce Timm. His ladies are something I've looked at for years, trying to figure out just how he constructs them. They're so simple and elegant!


**********
Thanks Aisleen!!
Check out more of her work at her website:
spooypress.blogspot.com

No comments: