Wednesday, April 6, 2011

GDG Artist Spotlight - Renée Kurilla

This week, we talk to GDG's Renée Kurilla, one of our Boston based members! Keep an eye out for more of her amazing artwork in upcoming shows and in one of GDG's many upcoming projects!

Welcome to the Girls Drawin Girls Spotlight, Renée!
1. What's your name?
Renée Kurilla

2. Where are you originally from, and where do you live now?
I'm originally from Scranton, PA but have been living in Boston, MA
for over 10 years.
 
3. What do you do for a living when you're not drawing sexy pinups?
I'm a lead artist at an educational multimedia studio in Boston. That
means I do everything from character design to book design to
storyboards and animation! Phew.
 
4. What's your favorite medium to work in?
I love Photoshop right now but I used to love oil paint. It's a shame
it got too messy and it became more and more difficult to find a place
to let my paintings dry for weeks on end. My cat, Timmy was always
walking on my palette!

5. Why do you think the pinup girl has such a timeless, wide appeal?
There are so many different types of pinups: the realistic figure, the
cartoon figure, crazy shape-y impossible poses, naked, clothed, sort
of clothed -  Regardless of what type...the female figure is
inarguably pleasant to look at!
 
6. Define what "sexy" means to you.
Sexy is knowing what you want and not giving in to any pressure that
leads you in another direction. (And if you can do that without losing
your smile...that's even better.)
 
7. What's your biggest goal/ambition as an artist?
When I was growing up, my biggest dream was to become a Disney
animator. But I've found that goals can change and rearrange
themselves over the years. Currently, my biggest ambition is trying to
figure out what I want to "say" through my art.
 
8. Why do you like drawing ladies?
I've discovered that I draw what I wish I could look like. Clothes I
wish I had - Personality I wish I could exude. I spend a lot of time
idolizing other women and I just draw what I see.
 
9. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
I've always wanted to live in Paris for one year. (I mean, I'd stay
even longer...but one year seems sufficient.) I went there when I was
in high school for three days and it wasn't enough. I'd love to go
back.
 
10. Name three artists who have influenced you and/or you admire.
Nate Wragg, Pascal Campion, Harley Jessup, Lorelay Bove, Craig
Thompson, Jillian Tamaki, and my dedicated co-workers inspire me on a
daily basis. Oh wait, you said three! :)
**********
Thanks Renée!!
Check out more of her work at her website:
www.kurillastration.com

No comments: