Wednesday, May 26, 2010

GDG Artist Spotlight: Liz Climo


This week, we talk to GDG's Liz Climo, an old-school member of ours!  Liz was featured in Volume I, A Girl in Time, for Girls from the 1960s, Volume II, Once Upon a Girl for "Beauty and the Beast," Miss April in our 2010 Photo Pin-Up calendar, and January in our 2010 Art Pin-Up Calendar!

Welcome to the Girls Drawin Girls Spotlight, Liz!


1. What's your name? 
Liz Climo

2. Where are you originally from, and where do you live now?
I grew up in the silicon valley area of northern California. I moved to LA about 6 years ago, and I bounced around the city a bit until I finally landed in Silverlake. I've been here about a year now. I think I'll stay a while.

3. What do you do for a living when you're not drawing sexy pinups? 
I am character animator and story reel artist on "The Simpsons." I've also done some freelance storyboarding, character design, and an occasional comic.

4. What's your favorite medium to work in? 
I tend to like the drawings I do with permanent marker on post-its best. I typically only like the drawings I do in under 10 seconds.

5. Why do you think the pinup girl has such a timeless, wide appeal? 
Because they embody sexuality and class, and those things don't go out of style.

6. Define what "sexy" means to you. 
Independence, confidence, self-awareness and a good sense of humor.

7. What's your biggest goal/ambition as an artist? 
I would love to write and illustrate children's books. Ideally, I would do that and have enough free time to volunteer in hospitals and just hang out and draw with kids. I love the way children draw, because they draw exactly what they see.

8. Why do you like drawing ladies? 
It's so much fun drawing attitude, and nothing has more attitude than saucy lady.

9. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go? 
I haven't traveled much. I would love to just end up in Europe and stumble around for a bit. I don't really have a lot of interest in sightseeing, but I would love to meet people who have grown up and lived in a place entirely different from myself.

10. Name three artists who have influenced you and/or you admire.
Shel Silverstein, Bill Watterson and Paul Klee are among my favorites. I also have to give a shout out to Mark Rothko, who was my great uncle. When I was growing up, my mother would show me his books and say "this is your uncle, he's famous" and I would say "but those are just big squares. i don't get it." When I was older, of course, I realized how unbelievable his paintings were when I finally saw them in person. His paintings are truly among the most beautiful I have ever seen.

********

Thanks Liz!

And don't forget to check out some of Liz's prints and merch for sale at GDG's Etsy store!

No comments: