Wednesday, July 21, 2010

GDG Artist Spotlight: Charlene Chua



This week, we talk to GDG's Charlene Chua, one of our Canadian based members! Keep an eye out for more of her amazing artwork in upcoming shows and in one of GDG's many upcoming projects!

Welcome to the Girls Drawin Girls Spotlight, Charlene!

1. What's your name?
Charlene Chua. Also 'sygnin'.

2. Where are you originally from, and where do you live now?
I grew up in Singapore. I moved to Toronto in 2007 with my husband.

3. What do you do for a living when you're not drawing sexy pinups?
I'm a full time illustrator. I work with a variety of clients, though most of my work seems to be for children. Now and then I get a break from that with work for more adult-centric projects.

4. What's your favorite medium to work in?
I do my work with Illustrator and Photoshop. I also like playing around with ink and sometimes watercolor.

5. Why do you think the pinup girl has such a timeless, wide appeal?
I think the pinup is nothing new really. People have long celebrated the idea of physical beauty and sex. The pinup girl is a more recent incarnation of that preoccupation.

6. Define what "sexy" means to you.
I'm not sure if I could adequately explain what sexy means to me in words. It's more of a feeling, for me at least.

7. What's your biggest goal/ambition as an artist?
To be happy with my life and my work.

8. Why do you like drawing ladies?
There's the extended explanation that goes back to when I was a teen, but as of right now, I just like drawing women because they're more fun than men.

9. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
I liked Prague a lot and I would love to go back. Some parts of Europe and the Caribbean.

10. Name three artists who have influenced you and/or you admire.
Only three? Um. J Scott Campbell, Marc Hempel and Yoshitaka Amano.

******** 

Thanks Charlene! 

And don't forget to check out her websites here!

Charlene Chua illustration: http://www.charlenechua.com
Sygnin pinups: http://www.sygnin.com

3 comments:

Joe said...

Her works is wonderfull, is so full of life!

jlg

igoohit said...

nice interview, beautiful works:-D

Heather Sybil Chavez said...

love the interview, really pretty illustrations :)